Page templates and configuration options
In this article we will take a look at the available post and page templates and go through the rest of the provided post/page configuration options.
Configuration takes place in the Page tab on the right hand sidebar when editing a post or page. The Excerpt metabox can be used to display a custom subtitle on the Page Title section on pages (area just below the logo/menu – example).
The Page Attributes metabox houses the available template options these override the layout selected in the Customizer. These are:
- Default template: When this template is selected the item gets a content/sidebar layout, or whatever is set under Site Options > Layout in the Customizer.
- Content / Sidebar: Items with this template will always display the content on the left and the sidebar on the right.
- Sidebar / Content: Items with this template will always display the sidebar on the left and the content on the right.
- Canvas: This is a completely blank (no header, menu or footer) template to be used with page builders and full site editors.
- Full width: The content area on items with this template will span from one edge of the screen to the other. No sidebar is available on this template.
- Full width boxed: The content area on items with this template will span the entire content width as set under Site Options > Layout in the Customizer. No sidebar is available on this template.
- Full width narrow: Like the full width boxed template, but the content is a bit narrower. No sidebar is available on this template.
The Page Title Image metabox can be used to set a custom background image for the Page Title section of the particular item. This will override the default background image set under Page Title in the Customizer.
Using the Page Settings metabox users can fine tune the appearance of individual pages and custom post types. Many of these options will override ones set under the Page Title section in the Customizer, allowing users to create unique page titles for each item. Options are either disabled by default or set to respect global values set in the Customizer. Let’s take a closer look at the options.
- Remove top/bottom content padding: Enabling this option will remove the padding around the main content (after the Page title section and before the footer). Useful when utilizing page builders and want to handle spacing with greater accuracy.
- Disable featured image for this item: Enabling this option will hide the featured image from the item’s single view, the featured image will still appear in listings.
- Header Type: By default the item respects the layout set in the Customizer. Users can override it and choose to display either a transparent or a normal leader.
- Show Page Title with Background: This option allows users to toggle the appearance of the Page Title section individually. A custom background image can be set via the Page Title Image metabox as described above. By default will follow the Customizer setting.
- Show Normal Page Title: This option toggles the appearance of the default page title. Useful if you have enabled the Page Title with Background and do not want the title to appear twice, or if you have disabled them globally and want to show it on the particular post or page.
- Show Normal Page Subtitle: Similarly with the title before, this option can individually toggle the page subtitle. By default the Customizer setting is respected.
- Show Breadcrumbs: Toggles the appearance of the breadcrumbs. Needs one of the supported breadcrumb plugins installed and activated. Single posts and post listings inherit the settings from the blog page and similarly single products and product archives follow the option set in the Shop page.