OlympusInn is a WordPress theme designed for hotels and resorts. It allows you to display your content primarily by using the six custom post types available. These are “Rooms”, “Galleries”, “Attractions”, “Videos”, “Testimonials”, “Services” and “Slideshow”. The above act as standard WordPress posts or pages but each of them has extra fields or custom layout which differentiates them from the former. The homepage is comprised of the homepage slider and custom widgets specially crafted to bring those custom post types together as discussed later on in the documentation.
The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
The recommended image sizes for the Olympus Inn theme are:
- Fullwidth homepage slider: 1920×850
- Room slider: 1092×508
- CI Item Widget (frontpage widgets featured images): 750×660
- Single post featured image: 750×440
- Blog listing featured image: 750×660
- Header image: 1920×300
- CI Hero: 1092px in width, not restricted in height.
These plugins provide functionality and features used directly (or not) by the Theme. So, it is recommended to install and activate them before importing your sample content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
Importing sample content
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and importing our sample content.
To get it go to CSSIgniter settings > Site Options, scroll all the way down and click the Download sample content link. Extract the zip file you downloaded and upload the xml file in Tools > Import > WordPress (if not already present, you will be prompted to install the WordPress importer plugin), assign the authors to an existing user and make sure you check the “import attachments” box. You can now import the sample content.
You can also download sample content from here
You can also import the widgets you see on the theme’s demo. To do that, you need the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin. To install it go to Plugins > Add new search for widget importer exporter and install the plugin. Activate it and go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter click choose file and upload the olympusinn_widgets.wie file which is located in the sample content zip file, click Import widgets and you are good to go.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be held responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- Home this will serve as your homepage, assign to it either the Home page template from the Page attributes panel on the right.
- Blog this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- Contact here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin. Assign to it the Contact page template, a new panel named Contact Options
- will appear, select your hotel’s location on the map and fill in the map marker info, finally publish the page.
- Booking your booking form will be placed here, apply the Booking Page template. Once you publish the page go to CSSIgniter settings > Contact options select the Booking page, fill in the e-mail you want your booking inquiries sent to and save changes.
- Gallery Listing this page will display your galleries. Apply the Galleries Listing template from the page attributes panel, in the Gallery Listing Options
- panel that appears you can select whether you will display all your galleries or just one category, the number of columns for the listing page and finally the number of items you want to display per page.
- Room Listing this page will display your rooms. Apply the Rooms Listing template from the page attributes panel and proceed to the Room Listing Options
- panel to select which room categories to display (if not all), the number of columns, whether or not to display only rooms on offer and the number of rooms per page.
- Services Listing this page will display your services. Apply the Services Listing template from the page attributes panel, in the Service Listing Options
- panel that appears you can select whether you will display all your services or just one category, the number of columns for the listing page and finally the number of items you want to display per page.
- Attractions Listing this page will display your attractions. Apply the Attractions Listing template from the page attributes panel, in the Attraction Listing Options
- panel that appears you can select whether you will display all your attractions or just one category, the number of columns for the listing page and finally the number of items you want to display per page.
- Video Listing this page will display your videos. Apply the Videos Listing template from the page attributes panel, in the Video Listing Options
- panel that appears you can select whether you will display all your videos or just one category, the number of columns for the listing page and finally the number of items you want to display per page.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > add new, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding Rooms
To create a new room item go to Rooms > new Room, set the room’s name as a title, enter relevant information in the content editor, and set a featured image. Then move to the Room Details
panel. Here you can add images to your room’s slider (please read the “Creating Galleries” section below, first), add the room’s amenities, add a price and let visitors know if current price is an offer.
(TIP, under CSSIgniter Settings > Section/Button titles) you can set the room price format and offer text.
4) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > Add New, set the gallery’s name as a title, enter some text if you wish in the content editor, set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the Add Images button in the Gallery Details panel (please read the Creating Galleries section below, first) and finally publish the gallery item. Single gallery column numbers can be controlled from the Gallery settings panel below the main text editor.
5) Adding Attractions
To add an attraction go to Attractions > Add New. Add the attraction’s name as a title, any text necessary and upload a featured image. In the Attraction Details panel you can upload images related to the attraction to create a gallery (please read the Creating Galleries section below, first), when finished, publish the item.
6) Adding Videos
To add a video go to Videos > Add New. Add the video’s name as a title, any text necessary and upload a featured image. In the Video Details panel add the URL to your video and when finished, publish the item.
7) Adding Testimonials
To create a new Testimonial, go to Testimonials > New Testimonial, set the author’s name as the title, and the testimonial’s text in the content box, finally, publish it. Testimonials can be used in any widgetized area you like by using the “CI Testimonials” widget.
8) Adding Services
To add a service go to Services > Add New. Add the service’s name as a title, any text necessary and upload a featured image, when finished, publish the item.
9) Adding Slider items
To add items to your homepage’s slider go to Slideshow > new Slide, set a title for the slider item and upload a featured image (which will be the image displayed on the homepage). Next move to the Slider Details
panel, give the slider a subtitle, a custom link and change the ‘Learn More’ button text if you so desire. Finally, publish the slider item. Homepage slider behavior can be controlled under CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options.
10) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you need to set up the menus. OlympusInn’s main navigation is split in two parts, one part on either side of the logo. Go to Appearance > Menus and create two menus, name them “Left menu” and “Right menu”. Customize each one by adding menu items to it and then go to “Manage Locations”, set the menus on their respective positions and save.
You can also set up the two footer menus in a similar fashion, you can either display the same menu or create different ones for the footer.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
11) Adding content to your Homepage
The homepage on OlympusInn consists of the slider and the Homepage widgetized area. You can access this area and add content to it in Appearance > Widgets.
Duplicate the demo’s layout
On the demo’s homepage we have three slider items, one CI Items widget displaying three rooms in a three column layout, a CI Testimonials widget displaying one testimonial, a CI Hero and finally a CI Items widget displaying a gallery an attraction and a service in a three column layout.
12) Changing Footer text
13) Setting up the weather
For info on how to set up the weather display on the theme, please have a look at this guide.
How to use the page builder template
The theme comes bundled with a page builder template which allows you to use your favorite page builder plugin on it and create unique layouts very easily.
To use that template start by going to Pages > Add New. This will create a new page. Add a title to your page and select the Page builder template from the template drop down in the Page Attributes metabox.
That’s it. You can now start building your page using the page builder of your choice, once done publish it and check it out.
To create a gallery using our gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the “Gallery Information” panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window which will pop-up, or select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded ones. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right.
- Your “Gallery Information” panel will look like this
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below.
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in random order which will change on every page refresh.
- When done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
Still have questions or problems setting up your CSSIgniter Theme? We will be happy to help you out in our support forums