About Aegean Resort
Aegean Resort is a WordPress theme designed for hotels and resorts. It allows you to display your rooms and create photo galleries by using the two custom post types provided, “Rooms” and “Galleries”. The above act as standard WordPress posts or pages but each of them has extra fields which differentiate them from the former. The homepage is comprised of the homepage slider and custom widgets specially crafted to bring those custom post types together as discussed later on in the documentation.
WordPress theme installation
The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
The recommended image sizes for the Aegean Resort theme are:
- Homepage widgets: 500x250px
- Homepage slider: 1920x850px
- Page header image: 2200x230px
- Blog featured image: 630x150px
- Two column room listing page: 450x220px
- Room inner slider: 920x390px
- Related rooms: 640x240px
These plugins provide functionality and features used directly (or not) by the Theme. So, it is recommended to install and activate them before importing your sample content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
Importing Sample Content using One Click Import
To automate the process of importing and for a better experience we have natively included support for OneClick Import Plugin. Let install it fist:
From your WordPress dashboard
- Visit ‘Plugins > Add New’,
- Search for ‘One Click Demo Import’ and install the plugin,
- Activate ‘One Click Demo Import’ from your Plugins page.
- Download ‘One Click Demo Import’.
- Upload the ‘one-click-demo-import’ directory to your ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory, using your favorite method (ftp, sftp, scp, etc…)
- Activate ‘One Click Demo Import’ from your Plugins page.
Once the plugin is activated you will find the actual import page in: Appearance > Import Demo Data.
Click on the Import demo data button and you are done!
This plugin requires PHP version of at least 5.3.x, but we recommend version 5.6.x or better yet 7.x. Please contact your hosting company and ask them to update the PHP version for your site.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it the “Homepage” template from the “Page attributes” panel.
- “Blog” this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- “Contact” here you can place your contact form.
- “Booking” your booking form will be placed here, apply the “Booking form” template. Once you publish the page go to CSSIgniter settings > Contact options select the Booking page, fill in the e-mail you want your booking inquiries sent to and save changes.
- “Room Listing” this page will display your rooms. Two layouts are available either a two column layout by applying the “Rooms listing 2 columns” template from the page attributes panel, or a three column layout by applying the “Rooms listing 3 columns” template. (You can also create listing pages that feature only a selected room category, do that by creating a page, applying the room listing template you want and from the “Base Rooms Category” drop-down selecting a room category, as displayed on the image below.
- “Gallery Listing” this page will display your galleries. Two layouts are available either a two column layout by applying the “Gallery listing 2 columns” template from the page attributes panel, or a three column layout by applying the “Gallery listing 3 columns” template.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > add new, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding Rooms
To create a new room item go to Rooms > new Room, set the room’s name as a title, enter relevant information in the content editor, and set a featured image. Then move to the “Room Details” panel. Here you can add images to your room’s slider (please read the “Creating Gallery items and uploading images to Rooms” section first), add the room’s amenities, add a price and let visitors know if current price is an offer.
4) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > new Gallery, set the gallery’s name as a title, enter some text if you wish in the content editor, set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the “Upload Images” button in the “Gallery Details” panel(please read the “Creating Gallery items and uploading images to Rooms” section first). Finally publish the gallery item.
5) Adding Slider items
To add items to your homepage’s slider go to Slider Items > new Slider Item, set a title for the slider item and upload a featured image (which will be the image displayed on the homepage), finally, publish the slider item.
6) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
7) Adding content to your Homepage
The homepage on Aegean Resort consists of the slider and two widgetized areas which feature all the content unique to the homepage. These are the “Homepage” sidebar and the “Homepage Testimonial” sidebar. You can access these areas and add content to them in Appearance > Widgets.
8) Changing Footer text
9) Setting up the weather
For info on how to set up the weather display on the theme, please have a look at this guide.
10) Footer setup
The footer in Aegean Resort, apart from the footer widgets, can display a few of your blog posts and a newsletter subscription form. These options can be controlled from CSSIgniter settings > Display options (last box down).
11) Custom Widgets
All widgets can be accessed from Appearance > Widgets. Below each widget you will find a small description explaining their functionality.
The CSSIgniter settings panel
Last but not least, under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find our custom built settings panel. From here you can manipulate various aspects of your theme, including, but not limited to, changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description so you instantly know their provided functionality.
How to use the page builder template
The theme comes bundled with a page builder template which allows you to use your favorite page builder plugin on it and create unique layouts very easily.
To use that template start by going to Pages > Add New. This will create a new page. Add a title to your page and select the Page builder template from the template drop down in the Page Attributes metabox.
That’s it. You can now start building your page using the page builder of your choice, once done publish it and check it out.
To create a gallery using our gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the “Gallery Information” panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window which will pop-up, or select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded ones. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right.
- Your “Gallery Information” panel will look like this
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below.
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in random order which will change on every page refresh.
- When done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
Still have questions or problems setting up your CSSIgniter Theme? We will be happy to help you out in our support forums