Troy is a blog/news tumblr style WordPress theme for content oriented authors. It is designed to maximize your post’s exposure by providing to the reader the absolutely necessary information in a simple yet appealing manner, eliminating distractions. The homepage consists of your posts along with a widgetized area on the right.
The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
Importing sample content
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and importing our sample content.
To get it go to CSSIgniter settings > Site Options, scroll all the way down and click the Download sample content link. Extract the zip file you downloaded and upload the xml file in Tools > Import > WordPress (if not already present, you will be prompted to install the WordPress importer plugin), assing the authors to an existing user and make sure you check the “import attachments” box. You can now import the sample content.
You can also import the widgets you see on the theme’s demo. To do that, you need the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin. To install it go to Plugins > Add new search for widget importer exporter and install the plugin. Activate it and go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter click choose file and upload the troy_widgets.wie file which is located in the sample content zip file, click Import widgets and you are good to go.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be held responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Troy does not need any pages to operate but you can add as many as you wish. If you’d like to add a contact page, you can create a page under Pages > Add New and use the shortcode given to you by the Contact Form 7 plugin in the page’s content area.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add New and follow the steps below
- Give a title to your post,
- Place your text in the content editor,
- Upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel,
- Add a category to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels
- Finally move to the Slider Details panel below the main text editor. Here you can set a FontAwesome icon to be displayed over your post’s thumbnail on the slider and listing pages, select if you want the particular post to appear on the homepage’s slider, exclude it from the blog page if needed and finally upload a custom image to be displayed as slider image, instead of the post’s featured image.
2) Creating your menu
When your content is in place, you might need a menu (again in Troy a menu is sort of optional). Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
3) Homepage Options
Under CSSIgniter Settings > Homepage Options you can control the homepage’s slider behavior, such as slideshow and animation speed.
4) Section Titles
Under CSSIgniter Settings > Section Titles you can change the wording for the “Read More” button and the “Related Posts” title.
The theme features seven custom widgets, which can help you display additional information. They can be accessed under Appearance > Widgets, below each widget’s title you will find a small description on what each one does.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Troy theme are:
- Post Thumbnail: 500x450px
- Blog image: 500px in width, no particular height set
- Homepage Slider: 1140x600px