The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and let us create some sample content for you, from within the CSSIgniter Settings panel, Site Options tab, Create sample content button.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be help responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!.
Your theme comes with a beautiful slider to show off photos. This slider appears on each post that has two or more images assigned to it. To assign images to a post, all you need to do is to upload them while you are on the Add New / Edit Post screen. This can be done by clicking on the Add Media button, just below the post’s title, or by pressing the Upload Images button, on the Post Details box, under the post’s content.
You can individually control for each post, whether you want a slider to appear on top of the post or not (this applies to both the listing pages, and single pages as well). Again, this setting can be changed from the Post Details box, under the post’s content. If enabled, a slider will appear if you have two or more images assigned to the post. If you have just one image (doesn’t matter if it’s a featured image), the image will be displayed without the slider controls.
If the slider is disabled, an image will be shown only if a Featured Image has been set. Otherwise, no image will be displayed, independently of how many you have assigned to the post. This allows you to present you images in any way that you may want (e.g. using WordPress’ default gallery shortcode, or any plugin, etc).
In both cases, if you don’t have any images assigned to your post, no image will be displayed, naturally.
This theme supports widgets. There is one widget area defined, Right Sidebar, which appears on the right hand side of the content. The theme also comes bundled with a few widgets developed by CSSIgniter. For information on using widgets, please see http://codex.wordpress.org/Widgets_SubPanel
This theme supports custom menus. There is one menu location defined, Main Menu, that appears on the top of each page. For information on using custom menus, please see read http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Menus_Screen.
Archive page template
You can have an archive page displaying your posts based on the date. All you need is to create an empty page and assign the Archive template from the Page Attributes box.
Alternative site layout
By default, the layout of the theme is content on the left, and a sidebar on the right. You can swap those two locations by the click of a button, from within the CSSIgniter Settings panel.
Our custom options panel can be found under Appearance CSSIgniter Settings. Let’s have a look at each tab’s options:
From this tab you can set your site’s properties.
- Logo text: Textual logo – site title
- Slogan text: Textual slogan – site description
- Upload your logo: Allows you to upload a logo image. You need to upload it to the correct size. Logo and slogan text are used as alternative logo description.
- Color scheme: Allows you to change the color scheme used.
- Site layout: Allows you to change your site’s layout from Content Left – Sidebar Right to Sidebar Left – Content Right.
- Upload your favicon: Uploads and registers a favicon. It must be already in .ico format.
- Sample content: Creates or deletes the sample content.
Within the background options tab you can override the template’s background settings and set yours as needed. If don’t want that, just keep this tab disabled by checking the checkbox “Disable custom background”.
Various options that affect what your website displays.
- Use the following on listing pages: Allows you to have the Content or the Excerpt displayed on various listing pages.
- Read More text: What will be displayed instead of the default Read More… or […]
- Excerpt length (in words): Limits how many words the excerpt will be, and whether it should be linked to the post.
- Excerpt auto cut-off text: When a manual excerpt is not provided, WordPress generates one automatically from your post’s content, limiting the words according to the setting above. Because that may be mid-paragraph, the cut-off text is appended at the end to show that the text continues.
- Title separator: How the various elements of thetag will be separated (dash, pipe, colon, etc)
- Show “Comments are closed” message: Allows you to hide/show the default “Comments are closed” message when comments are disabled.
- Slider: Allows you to change the behavior of the sliders that appear on top of each post.
These options control the behavior of the -=CI Social=- widget. The widget displays Social Media icons, depending on the services you have enabled and provided a link to your profile, in this page.
These options control the behavior of the Archive page (if you created one) with the Archive page template assigned.
- Google Analytics Code: Just copy paste your Google Analytics code exactly as given by their website, and you are all set for tracking visits.
- FeedBurner Feed URL: Paste the feed that FeedBurner provides you with, and it will be automatically be server to your users.
- FeedBurner Email URL: Paste the URL FeedBurner provides for registering to email updates.
- BuySellAds.com Code: Paste the BSA code as given by their website and it will be automatically included on every page. Use our accompanying widget -=CI BuySellAds.com=- to display the ads.
Paste your custom css in the box, and it will override the theme’s styles, along with the Background Options.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Photographia theme are:
- Post Thumbnail: 210x100px
- Slider thumbnail size: 540x500px