Olympic is a versatile business WordPress theme designed for gym/sports related businesses. It allows you to display your business’s features mainly by using the four custom post types provided, “Personnel”, “Services”, “Galleries” and “Slider Items”. The above act as standard WordPress posts or pages but each of them has extra fields which differentiate them from the former. The homepage is comprised of custom widgets specially crafted to bring those custom post types together as discussed later on in the documentation.
The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
- Default post thumbnail size: 480x360px
- Homepage slider image: 1920x550px
- Blog listing thumbnails: 800x350px
- Main thumbnail (used in custom post featured images, listing pages and widgets): 700x504px
These plugins provide functionality and features used directly (or not) by the Theme. So, it is recommended to install and activate them before importing your sample content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
- The theme is also compatible with The Events Calendar plugin for event management. You can find the plugin’s documentation here.
Importing sample content
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and importing our sample content.
To get it go to CSSIgniter settings > Site Options, scroll all the way down and click the Download sample content link. Extract the zip file you downloaded and upload the .xml file in Tools > Import > WordPress (if not already present, you will be prompted to install the WordPress importer plugin), assign the authors to an existing user and make sure you check the “import attachments” box. You can now import the sample content.
You can also download sample content from here
You can also import the widgets you see on the theme’s demo. To do that, you need the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin. To install it go to Plugins > Add new search for widget importer exporter and install the plugin. Activate it and go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter click choose file and upload the olympic_widgets.wie file which is located in the sample content zip file, click Import widgets and you are good to go.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be held responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it the “Homepage” template from the “Page attributes” panel.
- “Blog” this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- “Contact” here you can place your contact form, apply the “Contact Template” template. You can customize the location displayed on the map (or disable the map entirely) in CSSIgniter settings > Contact options.
- “Personnel Listing” this page will list your personnel, apply the “Personnel Listing” template. You can customize the number of personnel and the number of columns on the listing page in CSSIgniter settings > Personnel Options.
- “Services Listing” this page will list your services, apply the “Services Listing” template. You can customize the number of services and the number of columns on the listing page in CSSIgniter settings > Services Options.
- “Galleries Listing”, here you can list your galleries, apply the “Galleries Listing” template. You can customize the number of galleries, the number of columns on the listing page and the number of columns on the single gallery page in CSSIgniter settings > Gallery Options.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add New, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding Personnel
To create a new personnel item go to Personnel > Add New, set the person’s name as a title, enter relevant information in the content editor, his job title in the Personnel Details panel, set a featured image and publish the personnel item.
4) Adding Services
To create a new service item go to Services > Add New, set the service’s name as a title, enter relevant information in the content editor, set a featured image and publish the service item.
5) Adding Slider items
To add items to your frontpage’s slider go to Slider Items > Add New, set a title for the slider item and upload a featured image (which will be the image displayed on the frontpage), in the Slider Details panel you can set a URL to which your visitors will be redirected when the slider’s button is clicked, finally, publish the slider item. Slider options can be found in CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options, you can manipulate sliding functionality, effect and slideshow speed.
6) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > Add New, set the gallery’s name as a title, enter some text if you wish in the content editor, set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the “Add Images” button in the “Gallery Details” panel (please read the “Creating Galleries” section below, first) and finally publish the gallery item. Single gallery column numbers can be controlled in CSSIgniter settings > Gallery options.
7) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
8) Adding content to your Homepage
The homepage on Olympic consists of three widgetized areas which feature all the content unique to the homepage. You can access these areas and add content to them in Appearance > Widgets. Add any widgets you like in any of the “Front Page Widgets #” bars to shape the Homepage to your liking.
Duplicate the demo’s layout
On the demo’s hompage we have three slider items, four CI Post Type widgets, with a service selected on each, on the Front Page Widgets #1. We have the CI Callout on Front Page Widgets #2. Finally on Front Page Widgets #3 we have the CI Recent Items set to display 2 personnel items and the CI Schedule widget. On the Footer Widgets Column 1 and Footer Widgets Column 3 we have two text widgets, on the Footer Widgets Column 2 we have the CI About Me widget and finally in the Footer Widgets Column 4 the CI Socials Ignited and another text widget.
9) Changing Footer text
10) Widget Area Title
You can customize the title of the first widget area on your homepage. To edit its content, navigate to CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options.
11) Custom Widgets
The theme features nine custom widgets, displayed below, which can help a lot when setting up your homepage.
All widgets can be accessed from Appearance > Widgets. Below each widget you will find a small description explaining their functionality.
Last but not least, under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find our custom built settings panel. From here you can manipulate various aspects of your theme, including, but not limited to, changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description so you instantly know their provided functionality.
How to use the page builder template
The theme comes bundled with a page builder template which allows you to use your favorite page builder plugin on it and create unique layouts very easily.
To use that template start by going to Pages > Add New. This will create a new page. Add a title to your page and select the Page builder template from the template drop down in the Page Attributes metabox.
That’s it. You can now start building your page using the page builder of your choice, once done publish it and check it out.
To create a gallery using our gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the “Gallery Information” panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window which will pop-up, or select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded ones. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right.
- Your “Gallery Information” panel will look like this
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below.
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in random order which will change on every page refresh.
- When done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
Still have questions or problems setting up your CSSIgniter Theme? We will be happy to help you out in our support forums