The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
These plugins provide functionality and features used directly (or not) by the Theme. So, it is recommended to install and activate them before importing your sample content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Ithaca theme are:
- Post Thumbnail: 550x345px
- Slider: 780x400px
- Listing images ( category listing, homepage older posts etc): 360x360px
Importing sample content
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and importing our sample content.
To get it go to CSSIgniter settings > Site Options, scroll all the way down and click the Download sample content link. Extract the zip file you downloaded and upload the xml file in Tools > Import > WordPress (if not already present, you will be prompted to install the WordPress importer plugin), assing the authors to an existing user and make sure you check the “import attachments” box. You can now import the sample content.
You can also download the Sample Content for Ithaca by clicking here
You can also import the widgets you see on the theme’s demo. To do that, you need the Widget Importer & Exporter plugin. To install it go to Plugins > Add new search for widget importer exporter and install the plugin. Activate it and go to Tools > Widget Importer & Exporter click choose file and upload the ithaca_widgets.wie file which is located in the sample content zip file, click Import widgets and you are good to go.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be held responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it either the “Featured Front page” template from the “Page attributes” panel.
- “Blog” this page will display all your blog posts.
- “Contact” (optional) here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > Add New and follow the steps below
- Give a title to your post,
- Place your text in the content editor,
- Upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel,
- Add a category to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels
- finally publish your post.
3) Adding Reviews
To create your reviews go to Reviews > New Review.
The first four steps are identical to the ones of post creation above. Once these are done we move to the Review Details panel below the main text editor.
The panel has four tabs:
- Score: here you can set the score you want to give to the reviewed item.
- Slider: here you can select if this particular review will appear on the homepage’s slider.
- Video: If you want to add a featured video to your review, you can do so from this tab.
- Review link: Here you can enter a URL to link the review to. Links will be placed at the top and the bottom of the review’s content.
Once you are done you can publish the review.
4) Creating your menu
When your content is in place, you will need a menu. Go to Appearance > Menus, check the pages you want on your menu and add them, give your menu a name and save it. Finally you will need to set your menu as “Main” menu, this can be done either by checking the “Main menu” box in “Menu Settings” just below your menu items in Menu Structure, or by going to the “Manage Locations” tab and selecting the menu you just created.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
4) Creating your homepage
Populating the homepage’s slider.
The homepage’s slider displays selected reviews. To add a review to the slider edit the review go to the Review Details panel, on the Slider tab and check the Show in the homepage slider checkbox.
Then go to appearance > widgets and add widgets to the Homepage sidebar.
5) Changing footer text
6) Section titles
Under CSSIgniter Settings > Section Titles you can change all section titles, such as blog page title, various homepage section titles etc.
The theme features six custom widgets (plus a deprecated one) which will help you display your content. Below each widget you’ll find a small description of the widget’s functionality.
The CI Posts from Categories widget was deprecated in favor of the more user friendly CI Latest Posts widget. The former will continue to function, so if you were using it your layout won’t break. The new widget is much more flexible and allows you to display posts from a selected post type, taxonomy and even particular term. You can also set the number of posts you want display and choose if latest or random posts will be shown.
Still have questions or problems setting up your CSSIgniter Theme? We will be happy to help you out in our support forums