Glare is a media driven WordPress theme targeted at photographers. It allows you to display your work primarily by using the “Galleries” custom post type available. The above acts as a standard WordPress posts but has extra fields or custom layout which differentiates them from the latter.
The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance > Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance > Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance > CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
The recommended image sizes for the Glare theme are:
- Blog thumbnails: 602x350px
- Page header: Minimum 400px tall, no specific width set
- Gallery listing/grid layout thumbnails: 460x460px
- Fullsize thumbnail (also gallery slider image size): 940x460px
These plugins provide functionality and features used directly (or not) by the Theme. So, it is recommended to install and activate them before importing your sample content.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in an empty page.
Importing sample content
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and importing our sample content.
To get it go to CSSIgniter settings > Site Options, scroll all the way down and click the Download sample content link. Extract the zip file you downloaded and upload the xml file in Tools > Import > WordPress (if not already present, you will be prompted to install the WordPress importer plugin), assign the authors to an existing user and make sure you check the “import attachments” box. You can now import the sample content.
You can also download the Sample Content for Glare by clicking here
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be held responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful.
Setting up your theme
1) Creating theme pages
Let’s start by adding pages you are going to need. Go to Pages > Add New and create the following pages:
- “Home” this will serve as your homepage, assign to it the “Homepage with Slider” or “Homepage with Video” template from the “Page attributes” panel. Upload a featured image and publish the page, have a look at the “Setting up your homepage” section below for more info on how to use the rest of the homepage template’s features.
- “Blog” this will be your posts page. Just create it, no further action needed.
- “Galleries Listing” this page will display your galleries. Apply the “Gallery Listing” template to the page and notice the “Gallery Listing Details” panel that appears. Here you can select a base photo category (optional, only select if you want to create a listing page that displays one gallery category alone).
- “Contact” here you can place your contact form which you will create using the Contact Form 7 plugin, apply the “Contact Page” template to it and configure map/address options under CSSIgniter settings > Contact options.
(TIP, all page titles serve as examples, you can name your pages according to your needs.)
Once the pages are created, navigate to Settings > Reading and set the “Home” page to be your static frontpage and the “Blog” page as your posts page, as demonstrated in the image below.
2) Populating your blog
To add new posts to your blog, go to Posts > add new, title your post, enter the content in the editor, upload a featured image by clicking “Set featured image” on the Featured Image panel, add a category and/or tag to the post, if you so desire, from the respective panels and publish the post by clicking “Publish”.
3) Adding Galleries
To create a new gallery item go to Galleries > Add New, set the gallery’s name as a title, enter some text if you wish in the content editor, set a featured image and proceed to upload your images by clicking the “Upload” button in the “Gallery Details” panel (please read the “Creating Galleries” section below, first), select the if you want to disable the gallery’s internal slider or show the gallery on the homepage from the checkboxes below and finally publish the gallery item.
4) Setting up your homepage
If you select the slider template for your homepage all you have to do is upload images by clicking “add media” and then follow the instructions in the creating galleries/adding slider items section below. Slider functionality can be controlled under CSSIgniter settings > Homepage options.
If you select the video template you will be presented with this metabox to set your background video.
paste the YouTube URL in the box and publish/update the page.
Duplicating the demo’s layout
Glare’s homepage features the Homepage with Slider template and has four galleries selected to appear on it.
5) Creating your menu
Now that your content is in place, you need to set up the menu. Go to Appearance > Menus create a menu, name it “main menu”, customize it by adding menu items to it and then go to “Manage Locations”, and set it to be your main menu.
(TIP, for more info on creating and managing menus, please read the WordPress Menu User Guide here)
6) Header images
You can set a header image to appear on your blog section, listing pages and single posts. To set the default and learn more about how you can have custom images on each item, please navigate to CSSIgniter settings > Display options (1st box).
The CSSIgniter settings panel
Last but not least, under Appearance > CSSIgniter settings, you can find our custom built settings panel. From here you can manipulate various aspects of your theme, including, but not limited to, changing your logo, setting a custom background, changing color scheme and applying custom styles via the custom CSS tab. All options feature a description so you instantly know their provided functionality.
How to use the page builder template
The theme comes bundled with a page builder template which allows you to use your favorite page builder plugin on it and create unique layouts very easily.
To use that template start by going to Pages > Add New. This will create a new page. Add a title to your page and select the Page builder template from the template drop down in the Page Attributes metabox.
That’s it. You can now start building your page using the page builder of your choice, once done publish it and check it out.
To create a gallery using our gallery management system follow these steps:
- On the “Gallery Information” panel click the Add Images button.
- To upload your images, drag & drop them in the Edit Gallery window which will pop-up, or select Add to Gallery in order to select already uploaded ones. Once you are done, click the Update Gallery button on the lower right.
- Your “Gallery Information” panel will look like this
- You can re-arrange the order of images by drag & drop.
- If you wish to remove an image from the gallery, hover your mouse over it and click the X as shown below.
- By checking the Randomize order box your gallery images will appear in random order which will change on every page refresh.
- When done, publish the gallery item.
If you need to add images after the gallery’s creation just follow the same procedure.
The “old” way, applicable only in versions 1.6.1 and prior.
- Create a new Gallery item.
- Click “add media” or “Upload images”.
- Drag & drop the images from your computer (do not use already uploaded images).
- When your images are done uploading click the “X” on top right (do not click insert to post).
- Finish setting up the rest of the item’s details, if any, and publish the item.
Re-ordering/adding images to Gallery items
- Edit the Gallery item.
- Click “add media” or “Upload images”.
- Notice on the top left of the media manager a drop-down menu, select “Uploaded to this post”.
- Add/remove or re-order with drag & drop.
- When you are done click the “X” on top right.
- Update the item.
Still have questions or problems setting up your CSSIgniter Theme? We will be happy to help you out in our support forums