The easiest way to install the theme, is by accessing your WordPress admin panel, then go to Appearance Themes. Select the Install Themes tab and click the Upload link located just below the tab’s name. Click on Browse… and select the WordPress theme zip file you just downloaded. Then click the Install Now button, and after a few seconds, your new theme should be installed. Click activate and the theme is ready to use.
In order to install the theme manually, or in case you have trouble installing it through the admin panel, you have to unzip the WordPress theme’s zip file on your computer, and upload via FTP the resulting theme folder into your WordPress installation themes folder (wp-content/themes). Then, from the WordPress admin go to Appearance Themes. The theme should be available in your themes list. Click activate.
After activation, you will be redirected to the CSSIgniter Settings panel (accessible from Appearance CSSIgniter Settings) to start customizing your brand new theme.
The easiest way to get started and find your way around using this theme, is by installing it into a fresh WordPress installation, and let us create some sample content for you, from within the CSSIgniter Settings panel, Site Options tab, Create sample content button.
WARNING: As this will create posts, pages, custom post types, categories, widgets, etc. and change various system settings, it is strongly advised that you do this on a clean WordPress installation, without any previous and/or precious data. Under no circumstances we can be help responsible for total or partial data loss, so please be careful. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!.
Normal WordPress functionality. Writing normal posts, will be displayed blog style as usual. In case you have created a front page, you will need to create also a blog page where your posts will be displayed (see Front Page template with Slider below).
Creating a portfolio collection generally involves three steps:
- First, you need to create some Skills. From your admin panel, go to Portfolios Skills, and then create some skills (and sub-skills) such as Programming, PHP, Design, and Photoshop.
- Next, you need to create the portfolio items. Go to Portfolios New Portfolio and enter the title (e.g. Redesign of Google.com), on the main content box enter the main text of you post (e.g. Larry approached me to redesign his website, …), select the Skills that it belongs into (i.e. Design, Photoshop), add a Featured Image by clicking on Set featured image (at least 930×350), and finally, on the Portfolio Details box add more images by clicking the Upload button, and check whether you want this portfolio item to appear on the front page slider.
- Finally, you need to create a page that will display your portfolio. Go to Pages Add New and add a title (e.g. Portfolio), on the Page Attributes box, click on the Template drop-down list and select “Portfolio Collection“.
You can also display a single portfolio item using our bundled widget, -=CI Portfolio=-
This theme supports widgets. There are two widget areas defined. One, Right Sidebar, which appears on the right hand side of the content, on usual posts and pages. The other Portfolio Item Sidebar, appears on the right of Portfolio pages.
There are three additional areas for the footer, Footer Left, Footer Middle, and Footer Right, that are displayed on every page.
Furthermore, the Home Page template consists of two more widget areas, Home page 1st Row and Home page 2nd Row. Use exactly 4 widgets on each row for best results.
The theme also comes bundled with a few widgets developed by CSSIgniter. For information on using widgets, please see http://codex.wordpress.org/Widgets_SubPanel
This theme supports custom menus. There is one menu location defined, Main Menu, that appears under the header. For information on using custom menus, please see read http://codex.wordpress.org/Appearance_Menus_Screen.
To create a new Testimonial, go to Testimonials New Testimonial. Use the main title to note who’s testimonial it is (e.g. John Doe) and use the main content area to write the client’s testimonial.
Testimonials can be displayed on the Front Page template or on the sidebar using the -=CI Testimonials=- widget that we bundled with the theme.
Front Page template with Slider
To set-up a front page, you need to create two pages. Name the first one “Blog“. Name the second one “Front Page” or something similar, and from the Page Attributes box assign it the Front Page template. Next, go to Settings Reading, on the Front page displays select A static page and on the following two drop-downs select first your Front Page and then your Blog page. Save your changes.
The front page consists of a slider and widget areas. In detail:
- Slider: The slider shows featured portfolio items that you have created, have assigned a featured image, and have checked the Add this portfolio to the home page slider checkbox.
- Widget Area (1st row): You can assign widgets in this area by going to Appearance Widgets and dragging them to the corresponding widget area. Use 4 widgets for best results.
- Widget Area (2nd row): As above. Displayed below the first widgets’ row.
- Footer: Another widgetized area. These widgets are not homepage-specific and appear site-wide.
Full Width Page template
You may have any page displaying full-width, without a sidebar. All you need is to assign the Full Width, No Sidebar template from the Page Attributes box.
Archive page template
You can have an archive page displaying your posts based on the date. All you need is to create an empty page and assign the Archive template from the Page Attributes box.
Our custom options panel can be found under Appearance CSSIgniter Settings. Let’s have a look at each tab’s options:
From this tab you can set your site’s properties.
- Logo text: Textual logo – site title
- Slogan text: Textual slogan – site description
- Upload your logo: Allows you to upload a logo image. You need to upload it to the correct size. Logo and slogan text are used as alternative logo description.
- Color scheme: Allows you to change the color scheme used.
- Upload your favicon: Uploads and registers a favicon. It must be already in .ico format.
- Sample content: Creates or deletes the sample content.
Home Page Options
From this tab you set the properties of the home page.
- Select the “Portfolio” page: Assigns a page as the portfolio collection. You need a page with the Portfolio Collection template.
- Introductory text: Some introductory words to you work or website. Appears above the slider.
- Slider: Allows you to change the behavior of the front page slider.
Within the background options tab you can override the template’s background settings and set yours as needed. If don’t want that, just keep this tab disabled by checking the checkbox “Disable custom background”.
Various options that affect what your website displays.
- Currency: Allows you to set the currency symbol (dollar, euro, etc.) and set whether it is displayed before or after the price.
- Use the following on listing pages: Allows you to have the Content or the Excerpt displayed on various listing pages.
- Read More text: What will be displayed instead of the default Read More… or […]
- Excerpt length (in words): Limits how many words the excerpt will be, and whether it should be linked to the post.
- Title separator: How the various elements of thetag will be separated (dash, pipe, colon, etc)
- Show “Comments are closed” message: Allows you to hide/show the default “Comments are closed” message when comments are disabled.
- Internal Portfolio Slider: Just like with Home Page Options – Slider, allows you to change the behavior of the slider that appears in single portfolio pages.
These options control the behavior of the Archive page (if you created one) with the Archive page template assigned.
- Google Analytics Code: Just copy paste your Google Analytics code exactly as given by their website, and you are all set for tracking visits.
- FeedBurner Feed URL: Paste the feed that FeedBurner provides you with, and it will be automatically be server to your users.
- FeedBurner Email URL: Paste the URL FeedBurner provides for registering to email updates.
- BuySellAds.com Code: Paste the BSA code as given by their website and it will be automatically included on every page. Use our accompanying widget -=CI BuySellAds.com=- to display the ads.
Paste your custom css in the box, and it will override the theme’s styles, along with the Background Options.
- CSSIgniter Shortcodes you can use our custom made shortcode plugin to help you create a variety of layouts and elements on your site. Instructions can be found here.
- Socials Ignited use this plugin to create a widget that links to all your social profiles. You can also customize it with your icons and add new social networks, a guide can be found here.
- Contact Form 7 use this plugin to create a contact form, then copy the shortcode it gives you and paste it in the contact page you created earlier.
The recommended image sizes for the Aphrodite theme are:
- Homepage slider: 930x350px
- Internal slider: 620px in width no particular height set.
- Featured images: 620x320px
- Blog thumbnail: 60x60px